Saturday, January 17, 2015

Muesli

Ode to Heidi 

Part 1.  

 

When my sister was up in LA visiting me over the holidays, she pulled a cookbook off my shelf and started flipping through it. "I can't believe I don't have this one," she said, "She's got so much good stuff in here!" SHE of course, is Heidi Swanson, and the book is Super Natural Every Day. An instant classic if you ask me. It's one of my most-referenced cookbooks; Dignified with folded corners and hand-written notes pressed between the pages. So, with a renewed sense of exploration, and inspired by my sister, I ventured back into the pages of Super Natural Every Day.  Please enjoy reading and tasting some of my favorites from the great Heidi Swanson.

 

Muesli 

(AKA Overnight Oats) 

Easy, simple, bright, and customizable. Tired of the bagel selection at work, I went straight for my favorite recipe in this book, and consequently, it's on page 1. There's no better grab-and-go breakfast than overnight oats, and heidi's Muesli is perfectly balanced to be sweet, tart, and comforting.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped Marcona almonds
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/4 cup raw wheat germ
  • 1/4 tsp. fine grain sea salt
  • Plain yogurt
  • water
  • maple syrup

Tip: Prepare each serving in a small mason jar or tupperware container for the on-the-go morning. 
 
step one. In a large bowl, toss together the oats, almonds, raisins, wheat germ and salt. Transfer to a mason jar (or tupperware) until ready to use.

step two. For each serving, spoon 1/2 cup yogurt into a bowl with 1/4 cup water, and sweeten with a splash of maple syrup. Stir in 1/2 cup of the muesli and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour, or preferably overnight.

Serving suggestion: Top with fresh berries or left-over raisins.

Customize: with chia seeds, bee pollen, or fresh banana.


Links to more of my posts and raves about Heidi Swanson:

Split Pea Soup  
Broccoli Gribiche 
Chanterelle Tacos
Maple Blueberry Coffee Cake 
Granola 
Blueberry Pie
Little Quinoa Cakes 
Chickpea Wraps 


No comments:

Post a Comment