Monday, November 26, 2012

Blueberry Pie

Get Well Blueberry Pie

 

My mom is on bed rest this weekend, so I thought I'd surprise her with a drive home, and a blueberry pie. 

 


Nothing says 'Get Well Soon,' like a pie and some flowers. So I picked up an orchid and rolled out this blueberry pie. I've been practicing on my pie crust and my friends have been benefiting. But finally, I've perfected this rye pie crust from Heidi Swanson. At first, pie crust can be intimidating. But as long as you've got an apron, or some clothes you don't mind getting floured, it's really simple, and very rewarding. And with the holidays in full swing, I'm sure you can find lots of instances for practice of your own before the New Year.



I found my mom trip planning on her iPad when I arrived. My dad brought up a serving knife and plates and we I had pie together on the balcony overlooking my parents' spectacular view of Jamul. I had to keep my dad away from the pie after his second helping because I'd invited my sister over for leftovers later. 



Blueberry Pie with Rye Crust

(This recipe is from Heidi Swanson shared on the blog Forty-Sixth At Grace by Herriott Grace)





I won't be hurt if you click that link and follow Heidi's recipe, because that's what I did.  Although I couldn't find lemon verbena anywhere so I just used extra lemon zest. Harriott offers two ways to get the dough into a ball, by hand, or with a food processor. I prefer the manual method because it makes me feel more involved. And remember, always keep your counter surface and rolling pin well-floured to make the dough easier to work with.

rye pie crust: 

2/3 cup rye flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4+ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 cup salted butter
1/3 cup cold beer

special equipment: rolling pin & pastry brush recommended

Harriott's notes: You can make the crust using the quick and popular food processor technique. That said,  I always make it by hand, using the above ingredients, and this technique. If you like a super-puffy crust, do the folding in Pim’s instructions 4x. I usually like mine less so, and fold & roll just 2 or 3 times, depending on how the dough is feeling.



step 1. 
   Mix together the flour and salt. Using one of the methods above, get your butter and flour well mixed until it resembles small flakes.



step 2. 
   Create a well with your dough, add the beer, and as quickly as possible work into a tight ball. Wrap with clear plastic and refrigerate for at least 40 minutes.


step 3.
   Fold your dough.

Pim's Instructions: 
Flour the pastry board or counter very liberally.  Place the dough on the board and flour the top of the dough liberally as well.  With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to an elongated rectangle.  Pick up the pastry brush, brush off the excess flour from the top of the dough.  Then pick up one end of the rectangle, fold it 2/3 of the way in.  Brush the flour off the newly folded section, then pick up the other end and fold it over that section. Now you have a dough that is folded neatly into thirds.  The dough will crack and might even break, don’t worry about it.  Just make sure you brush off as much flour as you can between the folding so you don’t trap more flour in the dough than necessary.



step 4. 
   Roll it.  I don't like to cut my dough in half, I always end up miscalculating. So I just take about 2/3, roll it into a thin crust, and make sure the bottom of my pie pan is perfectly covered. Then I trim off the edges and roll the scraps back in with the remaining 1/3 of the dough and this way I always have enough for the top crust. If you don't have a rolling pin, a bottle of wine will do. Once, I used a large salt shaker. This is a pretty sturdy dough so you shouldn't experience too much breakage.

Refriderate the remaining dough and prepare the filling.

Blueberry Pie Filling: 
  •  1/3 cup natural cane sugar
  •  1/3 maple sugar (or brown sugar) 
  • 1/3 cup / 1.5 oz / 45 g flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
  • 2 pounds of blueberries, rinsed 
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice & zest from that lemon (I like to use double the zest) 
  • 2 tablespoons butter 
  • 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water, whisked
  • Large grain sugar, for sprinkling (optional) 

Preheat your oven to 425F

 

step 5. 
Toss the wet blueberries with the flour and salt.


step 6.
Fill the crust with the berries, drizzle with lemon juice, and dot with the butter. Brush the rim of the bottom crust with a bit of egg wash, then top with the other piece of pie crust.




Trim the top crust a bit if needed, then press the top and bottom crusts together at the edges. Working around the rim, tuck the overhanging dough under itself, and crimp with a fork or flute using your fingers.
 


Brush the crust with more of the egg wash and place in the oven for about 45 minutes – until the crust is deeply golden. I like to cover the edge of the rust with foil and then remove the foil 10 minutes before cooking is complete. I also sprinkle with large-grain sugar about 25 minutes in – for a little extra crunch and sweetness. Let cool a bit, slice and serve.




1 comment:

  1. Lindsey's Blueberry pie is a culinary delight! Her surprise visit along with this amazing pie brightned my day. I would recommend trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete