Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Gwyneth's Salmon Marinade

In recent months, I made the personal decision to venture into pescetarian territory. I know I tout about being a vegetarian, but I also know that some of my blog readers do eat meat or fish, and so this one's for you guys.

I started having dreams where I was eating meat. In one dream, I was walking across a street nibbling on turkey sausage links (What!?). I felt that a craving was building within me that I needed to explore. Fish is low on the food chain, it's a lot cleaner (less bloody) than other proteins, and salmon is widely renowned for it's high omega 3 content. I'm eating salmon once or twice a month at this point, and I am otherwise vegetarian, and even vegan for weeks at a time. I had to admit to myself that I like the taste of this fish. So when those cravings and crazy dreams resurface, I have a food to turn to.

Enough about me, this recipe comes from Gwyneth Paltrow's book, My Father's Daughter, and whenever I make any of her recipe's I refer to them as "Gwyneth's Meuslix," "Gwyneth's Gazpacho," or even her mother, "Blythe's Muffins". She calls this marinade a "Teryaki," because she says her kids are more likely to eat it. The flavor is fantastic. I simmered the left over marinade to reduce it, poured it through a fine strainer, and drizzled it over the fish, veggies, and rice. This book of hers in particular is filled with recipes for the whole family to enjoy. So rightfully, I made this dish for my whole family on our annual trip to Newport Coast, CA. I love to cook for the people I love most. And this one's sure to please all ages....




Gwyneth's Salmon Marinade


Ingredients:

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin (cooking wine found near Asian sauces in the grocery store)
3 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon peeled and finely grated ginger
2 prigs fresh cilantro
4 6-ounce salmon filet, skin discarded
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh chives, for serving

TIPS: This was my first time buying fish, EVER! So I asked a lot of questions to the guy behind the counter at Whole Foods. I chose farm-raised Salmon and he nicely cut each filet for me, even making a few smaller ones for the kiddos. 

Step1.
Combine the soysauce, mirin, honey, water, ginger, and cilantro in a small saucepan over high heat. Once it boils, turn the heat to low and let simmer for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Step2. 
Once it's cool, pour into a large bowl or plastic bag and add the salmon. Marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, up to overnight. 


Step3.
When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Put the salmon on a heavy baking sheet with whateer sauce adheres to it and broil until cooked to your liking (7-8 minutes). While it's cooking, strain the extra sauce into a clean saucepan, bring to a boil, and let it reduce.

To Serve.
Drizzle extra sauce over the cooked salmon (or your entire plate). I recommend brown rice and a huge helping of stir-fry.


2 comments: