Monday, April 8, 2013

Garden Party: Part I




 
 
    Since my first catering adventure was a success, my sister suggested to my mother that,  together, we cater her upcoming 'Garden Party'. What is a Garden Party you ask? It's a party where your friends come over and walk around your garden. My mom used to have a party where guests walked around and admired her Christmas decorations, but she got tired of that I guess... This would just be a casual, open house-type of event, with people coming and going. Close to eighty-five formal invitations were sent; Then you add verbal invitations to close friends, and consider some people would bring their children... My sister and I would prepare an outdoor spread for close to 100 people.
 
I apologize if this photo is offensive to Vegetarians
 
 
Now, since I was not cooking for a vegan crowd, there were a few protein options not suitable for this blog. Including barbeque pulled pork sliders which I was actually very proud of. All of our sandwiches were served on freshly baked bread from Bread Bar in L.A., and we garnished our platters with edible flowers for a true touch of Spring.
 
The first recipe for the Garden Party comes, in fact, from the last course. Strawberry Fools are a perfect dessert for Spring or Summer because they are fruit-filled, chilled, and easy to make ahead. My sister got the idea from a friend, and I got some very cute baking cups from Sur La Table to add some color to the table.  
 
 
 
STRAWBERRY FOOLS

Ingredients:

  • 12 ounces strawberries, halved
  • 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup crème fraiche
  • 12 edible rose petals (fresh or candied)

Directions

Step 1.
Puree strawberries, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, and vanilla until mixture is slightly chunky. (I actually pureed this pretty good).
Step 2.
Whisk heavy cream, crème fraiche, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. (This takes a while). Fold in strawberry mixture until just swirled through. Divide among 12 glasses. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (We put them in the freezer for about 2 hours).
 
 
Step 3.
 Garnish each fool with a rose petal (we used a variety of edible flower petals) just before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun party! Can I come next year ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful garden! Your mom must have a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete